Internships are for 10 to 16 week periods in a wholesale, retail or allied trade company. Interns are paid by the employer during training, and upon successful completion of the program, receive a $2,000 cash scholarship.
Full-time, undergraduate students who:
- Are currently enrolled in a floriculture/environmental horticulture or business program at a 2- or 4-year college university in the U.S. with a recognized floriculture program.
- Maintain a “C” or better GPA with satisfactory progress in a degree or certificate program.
- Demonstrate outstanding potential and serious interest in a floral industry field.
Where is the Training?
- Floral retail, wholesale and allied trade companies located in the United States and away from home/school.
- Transportation costs to and from the location are the student’s responsibility ($500 of the Internship award is available in advance for travel and relocation.)
When and For How Long Is Training Available?
- Internships are for a period of 10 to 16 weeks.
- Spring or Fall Internships are preferred for the most meaningful industry experience. Summer internships are allowed when the location can provide valuable experience.
Students in the Mosmiller Program must:
- Agree to and fulfill the responsibilities assigned by the employer for the internship time period.
- Submit a 500-word report evaluating the experience within 30 days of completing the Program. Reports are shared with the board, employer and used for program promotion.
- Secure permission to interrupt studies for the length of the training period when required by the university.
Why Become A Mosmiller Scholar?
- Join a select group of students who gained outstanding experience at top industry facilities.
- Enjoy a paid internship providing diverse, hands-on experiences.
- Put academic theories into practice.
- Develop new, critical skills, potentially improving employment opportunities.
- Determine future career directions.
- Receive a significant financial grant upon satisfactory completion.
How and When Does A Student Apply?
Students must complete an online application form. An electronic copy of the online application form will be emailed to the student. The copy of the online application form should be given to the student’s faculty member for their signature. The following documents must be submitted to AFE by the faculty member by email along with a copy of the application form signed by the faculty member (see faculty responsibilities):
- A statement by the student explaining reasons for applying
- Official school transcripts from all institutions attended
- A letter of recommendation and endorsement by the faculty member
The complete application packet must be emailed to AFE by the spring or fall deadline: March 1 or October 1.
Read reports from previous Mosmiller interns.
Training must be started within 12 months of application date.