- Enrolled in a floriculture/environmental horticulture program at a 2- or 4-year college/university within the U. S.
- U.S. citizens.
- Maintaining a “C” or better GPA with satisfactory progress in a degree or certificate program.
- Able to complete their internship prior to graduation.
When and For How Long is the Internship?
- Internships are for a period of 3, 4 or 6 months (6 months encouraged).
- Winter or spring pot/bedding plant seasons (Dec.-June) are encouraged. Three-month internships are allowed if location is deemed to provide valuable production experience.
Where Are the Locations of the Internships?
- Internship Hosts are successful floriculture production greenhouses within the United States.
- Internships must be performed in a geographic region other than the student’s home or school location.
** Transportation costs to and from the location and housing expense are the student’s responsibility; however, a $500 advance ($1,500 for six-month interns) can be requested to help with travel and housing expenses.
What Else is Required?
Students in the Vic & Margaret Ball Program must:
- Agree to and fulfill the responsibilities assigned by the employer for the internship time period.
- Submit a 500-word report, evaluating the experience within 30 days of completing the Program. Reports are shared with the AFE board, posted on the AFE website, and used for program promotion.
- Pictures should be included with the report of the student working at the intern location.
- Secure permission to interrupt studies for the length of the training period when required by the university.
- Perform the internship within 12 months of being awarded, but complete before graduation.
Why Become a Vic & Margaret Ball Intern?
- Have an opportunity to train at top floriculture industry facilities.
- Benefit from a paid internship providing diverse, hands-on experiences.
- Develop new, critical skills, improving employment opportunities.
- Gain insight into future career directions.
- Receive a significant cash grant upon satisfactory completion.
- Hear from a past Ball intern about how much she enjoyed her internship experience!
How Does a Student Apply?
- Complete the online application.
- Submit by email:
- An official transcript from all institutions attended.
- A personal statement (by the student) explaining reasons for applying and future career goals.
- A letter of recommendation and endorsement by a faculty member.
It is recommended that the faculty member submit by email the transcript, personal statement and their recommendation letter on your behalf.